If you can dream it, you can make it like Jonas Kgakishi Moshabi as a top-achiever

By: Simon Majadibodu

 Jonas Kgakishi Moshabi (18) was named as one of the top-performing matriculants by the minister of basic education Angie Motshekga. Photo: Supplied 

It started as a dream for him to become a top-performing matriculant, and it eventually turned into a reality.

Top achiever, Jonas  Kgakishi Moshabi of Seritarita High School in Mapela village, Mokopane, Limpopo said it has always been his dream to grace the national stage.

On January 18, Minister of Basic Education Angie Motshekga recognized him as one of the top-performing matriculants, making that a reality.

He bagged seven distinctions, including a 100% for both Mathematics and Geography.

The 18-year-old Armoed-born, from Mokopane, said that when he received an email from the Department of Education, he was in disbelief.

"I was asleep stressing about the results, and I woke up and checked my emails, and I was so shocked and happy at the same time that finally I made it," he said.


Top achiever, Jonas Kgakishi Moshabi has been recognisedas the country's third best-performing matriculant, in quintile two and the third best-performing pupil at Limpopo province. Photo: Supplied / Limpopo Department of Education



Being a top achiever has always been his dream and he had to work hard to accomplish that.

"Well, I thought that only learners from private schools could make it to be part of the top achievers, then I did my research and I discovered that all learners even the ones from public schools can be part of the top achievers." 

Following that, he worked tirelessly to fulfill his dream of becoming a top achiever.

The minister recognised him as the country's third best-performing matriculant, in quintile two. 

"I am so ecstatic and relieved," he said, smiling.

It didn't stop there, the MEC of Education in Limpopo, Mavhungu Lerule-Ramakhanya, named him the third best-performing pupil in the province.

"It was so amazing because I knew I studied hard the entire year, but as for 100% in two subjects it makes my heart to skip a beat," he added.

The top achiever indicated that poverty in his family pushed him to study very hard. 

"I was raised by a single mother who was working as a home-based care, and my sister was not working at that time….so, I knew that for me to get accepted by institutions and funding I needed to work hard.”


Jonas Kgakishi Moshabi has been named as the third best-performing pupil in Limpopo, by the MEC of Education in Limpopo, Mavhungu Lerule-Ramakhanya. Photo: Facebook / Limpopo Department of Education 

He went on to say that during his academic journey, he encountered challenges that had a negative impact on him, one of which was load shedding.

"Loadshedding was my number one enemy since I studied well at night. So I had to resort to buying a rechargeable light bulb.”

To focus more on his schoolwork, he had to put some of his favorite activities on hold.

"I had to stop being part of the chess club because it was very demanding.”

Nonetheless, Jonas expressed gratitude to his family, teachers, and classmates for supporting him throughout the year.

He added: “My sincere appreciation also goes to the Maths and Science Academy (MASA) which has been assisting me a lot with my studies.”

Jonas said he would be heading to the University of Cape Town (UCT) to study medicine since he loves assisting others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Phahama FC: Wilson Nkhumane starts a football club to get children off the streets

They called, and she answered: Ashley Matlou embraces her ancestral calling!

Halala: Thobela FM presenter Hunadi The Host nominated for SATMAs